Arctic Hare Stroganoff Ingredients:
• 2 hind quarters and backstraps of a hare
• ½ med onion cubed
• 1 can mushroom soup
• ½ cup sliced mushrooms
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
• ¼ cup white wine
• 2 T moose fat
• 1-1½ cups beef or chicken stock
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 2 T butter
• 1 ½ cups egg noodles
• 1 pot boiling water
• 1 T olive oil
• 2 T muskeg tea leaves
Arctic Hare Stroganoff Instructions:
Boil water and add tea leaves, allowing them to boil for 5 minutes, remove tea leaves with strainer, then add olive oil and noodles. When noodles are cooked, stain off water, drizzle noodles with bit of olive oil and serve with the stroganoff.
• Cut backstraps into slices across the grain, then fry hind legs in moose fat and pre-heated skillet. Since the legs are much bigger, they need a head start.
• When legs are browned on bottom side, turn over and brown the other side. Allow for a nice sizzle.
• When legs are nice and brown add backstrap slices and onions and continue frying the entire mixture, stirring occasionally until onions and back meat are also browned.
• Add mushrooms, garlic and butter and fry until browned, then add paprika, salt and pepper.
• Stir in wine, then add mushroom soup and stock and stir until all lumps are removed. Place lid on the stroganoff, turn down heat and simmer until hind quarters are tender and gravy thickens. Add more liquid if it gets too thick.
Serve immediately with noodles, either on top or stirring the noodles into meat mixture. Add dollop of sour cream and some minced chives for serving.