• 4 small Elk steaks.
• ½ cup red wine
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• ½ cup fresh thyme
• 1 cup Oyster mushrooms
• 2 tbsp. moose lard
• Sea salt to taste
Crushed Potato Ingredients:
• 5 medium potatoes
• Muskeg tea
• 2 tbsp. butter
• ½ cup fresh Lambs Quarters
• Add wine and olive oil to large zip-lock bag. Shake.
• Add elk steaks and massage until meat thoroughly covered. Marinate for a minimum of 3 hours.
Crushed Potato Instructions:
• Boil the potatoes in muskeg tea until soft – 15-20 mins.
• Melt butter in hot skillet.
• Strain the potatoes and crush them. Add to the skillet.
• Turn when brown (1-2 minutes).
• Add the lambs quarters and fry till both sides of potatoes nicely brown and the Lambs Quarter leaves are wilted.
Elk Steak Instructions:
• Melt moose lard in pre-heated skillet. Add the thyme and elk and allow steaks to brown for 3-4 minutes.
• Turn the steaks and add the oyster mushrooms.
• Cook another 2 -3 minutes and we’re done.
• Serve the steaks with the crushed potatoes and fried Lambs Quarters. Looks and tastes real good.