Wild Goose Stew Ingredients:
• 1 small goose – the meat cut off the bone and into cubes.
• 1 medium onion- roughly diced
• 2 Large carrots – roughly diced
• 1 cup celery roughly diced
• 3 medium potatoes – roughly diced
• 1 tbs soy sauce
• ½ cup red wine
• ½ cup flour for dredging
• ¼ cup of moose lard (or canola oil)
• ½ cup oatmeal
• Handful of fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 litre chicken broth
• 2 cubes chicken bouillon
Preparing the Goose Meat:
• Heat half the moose lard in a hot skillet.
• Dredge the goose pieces in flour and add to the skillet.
• Brown over medium heat. Turn the goose pieces to brown on each side.
• Heat the chicken broth in a stew pot.
• Add the goose meat plus soy sauce and let simmer for 20 mins.
Preparing the Veggies:
• Heat the remaining moose lard in the skillet and add the diced vegetables and thyme.
• When brown add to the stewing pot.
• Add bay leaves and red wine and let simmer for 30 minutes.
• Add the oatmeal and chicken bouillon and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
• Serve in a bowl with freshly baked bannock.