Pan-Roasted Wild Pigeon with Foraged Greens & Hazelnut Pesto Ingredients:
• 2 Pigeon breasts (duck can substitute)
• 2 Tbl canola oil
• Frozen peas
• ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts
• ¼ cup grated parmesan
• Hazelnut oil
• 10 leaves basil
• Small bunch of parsley
• ½ lemon
• 2 cups arugula
• Fresh salad greens
• Salt and pepper to taste
Pan-Roasted Wild Pigeon with Foraged Greens & Hazelnut Pesto Instructions:
• Place frying pan on medium-high heat, and once hot, add 2 tablespoons canola oil.
• Season 2 pigeon breasts liberally with salt. Place into hot pan, laying breasts away from you to avoid oil splattering. Cook 2 minutes on first side until browned, and then flip over. Cook 1 minute on the second side, turn off the heat and let the breast rest in the pan to finish cooking.
• To make hazelnut pesto: If using hand blender, place the following ingredients into a high-rimmed bowl. Or place all ingredients into a food processor or blender: ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts, 2 cups arugula, juice of half lemon, salt and pepper, 10 leaves basil, small bunch parsley and hazelnut oil.
• Boil frozen peas.
• Slice the pigeon breast and rest on your fresh greens. Add peas and extra hazelnuts and drizzle with the hazelnut pesto.