Red Wine Glazed Filet of Elk Ingredients:
• 4 elk steaks
• 1 L venison or elk stock
• ½ bottle red wine
• 1 glass port
• 3 juniper berries
• 5 peppercorns
• 4 sprigs thyme
• 1 shallot, peeled and cut in ½
• Selection of seasonal root vegetables peeled where appropriate and cut into 1 inch dice
• Olive oil
• Whipping Cream
Salt & Pepper Ingredients:
• 4 tbsp sea salt
• 10 black peppercorns, toasted in dry pan
Red Wine Glazed Filet of Elk Instructions:
• In a saucepan place stock, red wine, port, black peppercorns, juniper berries, shallot and thyme. Reduce down until ¼ of its original volume. Strain and reserve.
• Season elk steaks with salt and pan fry in a hot pan on both sides until cooked to medium rare. Remove and set aside to rest.
• Add reserved liquid to pan and allow to reduce by a further ½ deglazing the pan over a high heat.
• Add the steaks back to the pan and move around, turning over until fully glazed – this should be over a high heat and very fast.
• Remove to rest.
• On a baking sheet place root vegetables and cover in salt and olive oil.
• Roast vegetables in a hot oven allowing them to caramelize slightly until soft and slightly browned. Allow to cool.
• Blend in a blender with enough whipping cream to form a thick, smooth puree.
• Season with salt if needed.
Salt & Pepper Instructions:
• Toast black peppercorns in a dry pan.
• Grind salt and peppercorns in pestle and mortar.
• Re-heat puree and place on 4 serving dishes. Slice elk over top and finish with small pinch black pepper & salt.