Sesame Birch Seared Char and Halibut Ingredients:
• 1 Char fillet
• 1 Halibut (or turbot) fillet
• 2 T soy sauce
• 2 tsp. birch syrup
• ½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
• Coarse salt and pepper to taste
• Wild game or animal fat
• 1 T butter
• 1 clove garlic (crushed or minced)
Sesame Birch Seared Char and Halibut Instructions:
• Add animal fat to preheated skillet (med-high heat) then add scaled fish fillets (or deskinned if you prefer), skin side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow to fry until bottom edges start to caramelize. Add butter if more oil is needed.
• Mix soy, birch, sesame, and garlic in a small bowl, pour over the fish and swirl pan to distribute the sauce.
• Add lid and allow the fish to cook in steam and sauce until both fillets are cooked through, approximately 4 minutes. If you like both sides of your fillets browned, flip them over before you add the sauce, being careful to keep them intact.
• Serve hot with your favourite steamed rice recipe.