Seared Beef Carpaccio Ingredients:
• 1 lb. (450 g.) of centre cut beef tenderloin, trimmed
• 1 T. (15 g.) of Good quality sea salt
• 1 tsp. (5 g.) of toasted and freshly ground pepper
• 2 T. (15 ml.) Canola oil
Crisp Bread Ingredients:
• 8 this slices of country bread or baguette
• olive oil
Classic Steak Tartar Ingredients:
• ¾ lb. (340 g.) of fresh beef fillet, hand diced
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped
• 1 T. (15 ml.) of Dijon mustard
• ½ tsp. (2 ml.) of Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp. (5 ml.) of brandy
• ½ T. (15 ml.) of olive oil
• ½ of a shallot, rinsed and finely chopped
• 1 T. (9 g.) of capers, rinsed
• 2 cornichons, finely chopped
• 2 sprigs of flat parsley, finely chopped
• A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil for each plate
*This is more food than is necessary for 4 people; in order to properly create this food it is important to use a larger cut of meat, so invite lots of friends over to enjoy.
Seared Beef Carpaccio Instructions:
• Pre-heat a dry frying pan until it is smoking hot. On a plate rub the beef with Canola oil and evenly season with salt and pepper. Place in the pan to sear, turning every minute or so, for a total of 4-5 minutes.
• Lay two layers of plastic wrap on the counter. Remove beef from the pan, lay on the plastic wrap and roll it up tightly. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to shock then move to the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
Crisp Country Bread:
• Pre-heat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lay the slices of bread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil and sea salt. Bake until crisp and firm, approximately 10 minutes.
Classic Steak Tartare:
• In a small non-aluminium bowl, whisk together the mustard, brandy, olive oil and egg yolk.
• Combine the remaining ingredients in a large non-aluminium, bowl and then dress with the contents of the small bowl.
• Everything should be kept at fridge temperature and served quickly once mixed to avoid the beef from curing in the acidic ingredients.
• Unwrap the carpaccio and thinly slice it with a sharp knife. Lay as many slices as desired, off-centre on four large chilled plates.
• Spoon the tartare into a small ring mould on each plate. Decoratively place the crisp country bread on top of the tartare.
• Dress the plate with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.