Chinook Salmon with Braised Fennel & Sauce Vierge Ingredients:
• 1 chinook
• 2 T canola oil
• 2 large tomatoes
• 10 basil leaves
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 side skin on salmon
• 3 bulbs fennel
• 2 medium onion
• 1 lemon
• 2 T butter
• ¼ cup white wine
• 3 T extra virgin olive oil
• Pinch chili flakes
• Pinch fennel seeds
Chinook Salmon with Braised Fennel & Sauce Vierge Instructions:
• Skin salmon and cut into 2 ½ inch portions (~150 grams) and season both sides with salt
• Place Pan on medium-high heat. Once hot, add 2 tablespoons canola oil, and place the salmon, into the pan, skin-side up. Let cook for 2 minutes on medium-high, and then flip over and cook another 30 seconds on other side.
• Prepare braised fennel by cutting 3 small heads of fennel into ½ inch dice, 1 medium onion into ½ inch dice, and the zest of 1 lemon.
• Place a large pan on medium-high heat and once hot, add 3 tablespoons canola oil
• Add fennel and onion and lemon zest and cook for approximately five minutes until starting to colour. Add 2 tablespoons butter and ¼ cup white wine, bring to a boil, and then lower heat to medium-low and let simmer until slightly reduced and thickened. Season with salt.
• For the Sauce Vierge: Slice 2 tomatoes into ½ inch pieces. Thinly Slice 2 cloves garlic. Finely dice ½ onion. Cut 10 leaves basil into thin strips.
• Add tomatoes, garlic, onion and basil into pan and add 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, pinch of chili flakes and pinch of fennel seeds and juice from half a lemon. Put on medium-low heat and cook until tomatoes have slightly broken down, about 5 minutes.
• On the base start with the braised fennel, then add the chinook on top, followed by the sauce vierge.