Jamaican Goat Curry Ingredients:
• 3 lbs bone in goat meat
• 2 Tbl canola oil
• 2 tins coconut milk
• 1 large tomato
• 1 yellow onions
• 3 heads garlic
• 3 big chunks ginger
• ¼ cup rum
• Fresh nettles (baby spinach works as a substitute)
• 1 can pigeon peas
• 1 large knob butter
• bundle of thyme
• 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp black peppercorns
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp cumin seed
• 1 tsp allspice
Jamaican Goat Curry Instructions:
• Make spice mixture: 1 teaspoon each paprika, ground cumin, black peppercorns, turmeric, cumin seed, allspice.
• Set large pot over medium-high flame and add 2 tablespoons canola oil.
• Peel and finely chop one 2-inch knob of ginger. Slice 1 onion. Cut one Scotch Bonnet Pepper. Slice 4 cloves garlic. Add all ingredients to the pot, along with the spice mixture.
• Season with salt and large pinch of sugar and cook over medium heat until aromatic.
• Add to the pot 1 pound goat stewing meat, and cook until starting to colour, about 2 minutes.
• Add to the pot 1 tin of coconut milk, 1 large chopped tomato and 1 tin of water.
• Add ¼ cup rum to the pot, and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, 2 hours.
• For rice and peas: Get a pot on medium flame, add 1 large knob butter, 1 1/2 cup rice, 4 cloves crushed garlic, bundle of thyme, 1 teaspoon each of salt and sugar. Cook approximately 2 minutes until rice is coated and fragrant.
• Add in 1 tin of coconut milk, fill tin with water and add to the pot as well.
• Add to the pot 1 tin pigeon peas.
• Bring to a boil, and then reduce to low, cover and let cook 15 minutes until cooked.
• When rice is cooked, place on plate.
• To finish curry, add nettles and allow to wilt for approximately 3 minutes.
• Take off the heat and serve atop rice.