Vegetarian Sausage Rolls with Mashed Potatoes & Carrots Ingredients:
• 3 potatoes
• 3 carrots
• 2 T butter
• ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
• ¼ cup finely-chopped celery
• ¼ cup chopped apples
• ¼ cup sliced mushrooms
• Small bundle of thyme
• Cooking twine
• 2 lbs. pears
• 2 lbs. apples
• 1 ⅔ cups vegetable stock
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 pack vegan sausages
• 1 sheet of puff pastery
• 1 T grainy mustard per sausage
• 1 T grated cheese per sausage
• 1 egg
• Salt to taste
Vegetarian Sausage Rolls with Mashed Potatoes & Carrots Instructions:
• To make the mash: Peel 4 medium sized potatoes and cut into ½ inch pieces. Peel 3 small carrots and cut into ¼ inch pieces. Boil together in salted water for approximately 15 minutes until tender. Drain off water, and keep the pot on the heat for 1 minute to allow potatoes and carrots to dry out. Then add 2 tablespoon butter, pinch of salt and ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, and mash with a potato masher until broken down.
• Place a small pot on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons butter. Add ¼ cup finely chopped celery, ¼ cup chopped apples, and ¼ cup sliced mushrooms. Wrap a small bundle of thyme in string and add to pot. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and let cook for 3 minutes.
• Add vegetable stock and heavy cream and allow to simmer gently for 5 minutes until thickened slightly.
• Remove bundle of thyme, and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
• To make the sausage rolls: Remove a sheet of puff pastry from the freezer and let thaw approximately 5 minutes. Place 4 sausages along puff pastry separated by 3 inches. And cut in the middle of the gap between sausages. Spoon 1 tablespoon grainy mustard and 1 tablespoon grated cheese along each sausage. Starting from the end of each sausage, fold the pastry towards center of sausage. Then pull the long side of the pastry overtop of the sausage and tuck under the other side, making sure to seal the pastry onto the other side. Once each sausage is fully wrapped, place in cold frying pan.
• Using a small sharp knife, score the top of each roll 4-5 times diagonally across to allow steam to escape.
• Whisk one egg yolk in a small bowl and brush a small amount of egg wash over each roll.
• Season each roll with salt flakes and place into a 400 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes until golden and the pastry has risen.
• Spoon a dollop of mash onto plate, place the sausage rolls onto the plate and drizzle with gravy.