Venison & Star Anise Chutney Ingredients:
• Deer meat
• 2 T canola oil
• 2 T Dijon mustard
• 2 T grainy mustard
• 2 T olive oil
• 2 unripe pears
• 1 white onion
• ½ cup sherry
• ¼ cup champagne vinegar
• 2 T sugar
• 2 whole anise
• salt to taste
Venison & Star Anise Chutney Instructions:
• Get a large frying pan on medium-high heat and once hot, add 2 tablespoon canola oil.
• Season your venison liberally with salt. Place venison into pan and allow to brown on one side, approximately 1 minute. Flip to the other side and cook one more minute until brown on following side.
• Remove venison from the pan and rub with 2 tablespoons each Dijon and grainy mustard.
• Cut up long pieces of celery to make a base on which to roast the venison. Place venison over top of vegetables and place into a 450 degree oven.
• For chutney: Place pot on medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoon olive oil. Add to the hot pan 1 roughly chopped onion, and 2 roughly chopped unripe pears (otherwise they will break down completely).
• Add ½ cup sherry wine, ¼ cup champagne vinegar and 2 tablespoons sugar. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 2 pieces star anise.
• Let simmer until broken down slightly.
• Make a mound with the chutney and place slices of venison beside/around it.