• 1 muskrat fully cleaned and soaked in vinegar salt water for minimum of 3 hrs( ¼ cup vinegar, 1 T course salt per pot of cold water)
• 2 T of bacon, bear or moose lard
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• ½ cup cornmeal
• ½ tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• ¼ cup melted butter
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1/3 cup corn niblets
• 1 egg
• 2 T birch or maple syrup
• ½ cup cream
BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
• ½ cup ketchup
• 1 T minced onion
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 T liquid smoke
• ¼ tsp smoked paprika
• ¼ cup apple cider vinegar or juice of one large lemon
• Bring pot of water to a boil over high heat.
• While waiting, cut the muskrat (which is not really a rat but a very clean animal) into quarters and remove head & tail.
• Place muskrat pieces into pot and bring back to a boil. Once a full boil is reached, turn heat down. Keep the meat at a low boil until it is tender (about 45 mins to 1 hr).
• Strain hot water from the soft cooked meat & add water to cool meat down for handling.
• Pull all the meat from the bones, ensuring there are no large or stringy pieces and set aside.
Corn Bread Instructions:
• Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 & oil & flour oven safe skillet or muffin tins.
• Prepare cornbread by melting the butter then stirring in corn & removing from heat to cool down.
• Whisk together all dry ingredients then stir in wet ingredients, adding the butter corn mixture last. The batter should be quite thick.
• Pour into prepared pan and place in centre of oven for 45 mins of so, until the top is golden brown.
BBQ Sauce Instructions:
• Start the BBQ sauce by frying onions & garlic in the lard then adding all other ingredients when the minced goods begin to brown, stirring the whole time. When mixture reaches a soft boil, remove from heat & mix in the pulled muskrat.
• Serve over slices of the cornbread (the one in your oven) with baked beans or coleslaw. Serves 2 or 3.