Wild Rice Ingredients:
• 5 cups wild rice
• 4-5 cups water or your favorite fish or veggie stock
• 1 handful inner bark from young birch trees
• ¼ cup pure birch syrup
• 1 T moose lard
• 1 tsp seas salt
• ½ cup smoked inconnu or other fresh water fish
Wild Rice Instructions:
• Bring water or stock to a boil with the birch bark until you have a birch tea.
• Remove the birch bark then add the animal fat, salt, syrup & wild rice and bring back to a gentle boil.
• Boil the rice until moisture is absorbed and rice grains have split open. Add more liquid if needed. Wild rice can take up to an hour to cook.
• When rice is done, drain off any excess moisture and fluff up with more lard.
• Crumble up the smoked fish and place in a small bowl or plate.
• Serve the rice by heaping a pile on individual plates and topping with a handful of the dried fish.
This is a great way to stretch out a small amount of dried fish and can be your saving grace when you screw up a main course of fish!