Fireside Clambake Ingredients:
• Equivalent to 6 cups fresh clams well rinsed
• 1 side or large fillet of salmon
• 1 small packet smoked or candied salmon
• 5 medium potatoes, cubed
• 3 ears fresh corn cut into 2 inch sections
• 1 medium white or red onion
• ½ cup shallots, green onions, or chives
• 2 L. vegetable stock
• ½ cup white wine
• ½ package butter
• 2 bulbs garlic
• Handful dried seaweed
• Handful fresh parsley or oregano
• Salt & pepper to taste
Fireside Clambake Instructions:
This is a one-pot dish designed to be cooked on an outdoor fire in a Dutch oven but will also work in an indoor oven using heavy duty oven wear.
• Heat up Dutch oven against the flames of your fire and add 3 T of the butter, stock, onions, garlic and potatoes, cover with lid and allow to steam until potatoes are half cooked (about 10 mins depending on heat).
• When spuds are ready add corn, place lid back on Dutch oven and cook ingredients for 5 mins. Add more stock if liquid is running low, as the vegetables have to steam.
• Then add the clams, raw salmon fillet, wine, salt and seaweed and allow to cook until clams begin to open and salmon starts to turn pink.
• Remove from heat, add the smoked or candied salmon as a topping, place lid back on and keep the clambake warm at the fire’s edge.
• Just before serving, strain the liquid from the pot into a saucepan and add 1 cup of butter, the fresh herbs and whisk over medium heat.
• Pour the sauce into small serving bowls and use as a dipping sauce for the clambake. Serve hot. Ask anyone who does not like this dish to immediately leave the dinner party and get a life…