Ptarmigan Macaroni Ragu or “Hangover Stew” Ingredients:
• 1 onion minced
• 2 carrots sliced
• 1 garlic clove minced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 reg. can stewed tomatoes
• 1 stalk celery
• 2 cups ptarmigan or chicken stock
• 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
• ¼ cup red wine
• 2 T animal fat
• 1 cup macaroni noodles
• 2 ptarmigan breasts, cut into stew sized cubes (chicken works just fine too)
• 1 T flour
• Salt & pepper to taste
Ptarmigan Macaroni Ragu or “Hangover Stew” Instructions:
• Add animal fat to heated med-high skillet, then add onions and cubed breasts and fry until nicely browned.
• Add garlic, carrots & celery and fry stirring for about 3-5 minutes until veggies begin to brown.
• Add tomatoes, seasoning, red wine, stock, stir and bring to a light boil for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
• Taste the ragu and season accordingly with salt and pepper, then add the macaroni, stirring until pasta is coated. Allow to simmer for another 12-14 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.
• Make a flour paste by adding the flour to 1.5 cup cold water stirring briskly to avoid lumping, then pour into the ragu while stirring. Simmer stirring until the ragu liquid is thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
• Remove from heat and serve with hot over baked bannock!