Pulled Barbeque Bandit Raccoon Ingredients:
• 1 small raccoon (or some turkey, as raccoon and turkey actually taste similar!)
• Large pot of hot water
• 3-4 buns
• 1 lemon or cider vinegar
• 1 large garlic clove (crushed or minced)
• 2 tsp. animal fat
• 1 T tomato paste or ketchup
• 2 T minced onion
• 1 T rosehip paste
• 1 tsp. smoked paprika
• ½ tsp. liquid smoke
• salt to taste
• 1 T sweetener (honey, dandelion syrup or maple syrup)
Pulled Barbeque Bandit Raccoon Instructions:
• Skin, dress, cut up and wash the raccoon remembering to cut out the scents glands then trim off all the fat. Soak, immersed in cold water with ¼ cup of salt and ¼ cup vinegar overnight or for at least 3 hours.
• Using fresh water, bring cut up raccoon meat to a boil then turn heat to medium and continue boiling for 1½-2 hours until meat is soft enough to pull from the bone, then strained cool meat off.
• For the sauce, place fat in heated skillet then fry onions and garlic until golden brown. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a light boil stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
• Pull the cooled raccoon meat from the bones and shred up with your fingers, then place into bowl and stir in sauce and mix well.
• Serve on the buns along with coleslaw and side of potato salad.