Skewered Goat Balls Ingredients:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil or animal lard
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 teaspoons salt
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
• ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
• ¼ cup cottage cheese or other soft cheese
• 4 slices bacon
• 1 pounds ground goat meat
• ½ cup bread crumbs
• 1 large egg
Skewered Goat Balls Instructions:
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle half the olive oil into a baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
• Heat the remaining olive oil (or animal lard) in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the thyme. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and nicely browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
• Combine cooled onion mixture with remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
• Roll the mixture into round, golf ball-sized meatballs (about 1 1/2 inches), making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
• Roast for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are firm and cooked.
• Serve impaled with willow skewers that are peeled & sharpened at one end and drizzled with tomato sauce, tomato pesto or salsa.