Whole Trout with Herbs & Greens Ingredients:
• 1 whole trout, 10-12 oz., cleaned and gutted
• Salt, pepper
• 1 cups peanut or canola oil for deep-frying
• 1 lemon, sliced
• 1-2 garlic cloves, sliced
• 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
• Fresh dill and parsley or any other greens that can be foraged or pulled from your garden
Whole Trout with Herbs & Greens Instructions:
• Preheat the oil in a wok or fire-safe outdoor cooking vessel.
• Make diagonal slashes on both sides of the fish.
• Season the fish with salt and pepper on both sides and in the inside cavity.
• Stuff the cavity of the fish with the slices of lemon, garlic, onion, and some of the herbs, then tie the fish with butcher’s string to keep the stuffing in.
• Deep-fry the fish in the preheated oil for 10-15 minutes, making sure to flip the fish if it is not immersed in the oil. Fry until golden brown and crispy-looking.
• Serve the fish whole, with a bit of olive oil drizzled over along with some freshly squeezed lemon juice. Serve over a bed of the remaining herbs and greens.